Over the past few days we have received a number of calls from companies needing urgent PAT testing, even one who expected us to complete the testing in less than an hour and produce the certificates for them to take away …
PAT Testing In High Risk Environments
They were a little upset to realise that we wouldn’t be able to help them as we’re already so busy and just couldn’t meet their demanding requirements.
However, the difference between some clients’ attitudes can be quite surprising. A recent client whose staff work in all sorts of weather and environments were quiet shocked when I explained that their equipment was considered high risk and should therefore be tested more frequently. Better still, they were the sort of people whose kettle wears out as they were constantly asking if I wanted a brew!
I even explained that I was a little concerned that they were using standard 240v work tools in environments where 110v equipment would be more suitable. The use of the lower voltage means that there’s a drastically smaller chance of a dangerous electrical shock.
I mean, where else are there harsh environments with dust in the air, rain pouring down and in some cases thick mud where cables are being dragged around?
“The general wear and tear placed on appliances in these environments can damage them significantly!”
My next client of the day was at an office. I was expected to be there at a certain time and arrived with plenty of time to spare, but the client arrived a good fifteen minutes late. I was even told “you know what you are doing, get on with it“, even though I had greeted them with a professional, friendly manner and introduced myself.
I was quite shocked that the member staff made a hot drink for everyone and ignored me. Not that I wanted a cuppa anyway, but it would have been nice to be asked, wouldn’t it? I was very tempted to fail their kettle just to have the last laugh, but I resisted. Anyway as an office environment is considered low risk, testing is not required that frequently.
Now, some of the things I have seen would really make your hair curl – well, they would if you plugged them in – cables cut through still being used and out in the wet, missing covers, good old gaffa tape holding plugs together … you name it, I’ve seen it! On second thoughts, maybe they would actually make your hair stand on end!
But one thing that always amazes me is that when using work tools that are not designed for the construction industry, some people still fail to protect themselves with something as simple as an RCD adaptor.
“Remember, with electrical equipment, your life is in your own hands. Be very careful!”
Most small builders and contractors are not aware that they have to have their equipment regularly tested as they are considered high risk professions. And when I say regularly, I mean every three months.
Until next time …Call me on 0330 6600264 today and we can arrange your testing and certification.