ISO9001 Certification For A Safety Testing Company: FTS Safety Solutions is certificated to the ISO 9001, which is the international standard for a Quality Management System (QMS). In order for a company to be certified to the ISO9001 standard, they must follow the requirements set out in the ISO 9001 Standard. This standard is used by organisations to demonstrate their ability to consistently provide in their capacity, services and products that meet customer and regulatory requirements, more importantly, to demonstrate continuous improvement to procedures.
ISO9001 Certification For A Safety Testing Company
The standard supports an organisation’s aims and objectives, a QMS documents the processes, procedures and responsibilities for achieving quality policies and objectives. Based on eight quality management principles, the ISO 9001 standard defines the way an organisation operates to meet the requirements of its customers:
- Customer focus involves determining and meeting the customer requirements
- Leadership involves people at all levels being fully involved in an environment where the company objectives are met.
- Involvement of people involves people at all levels enabling their abilities to be used for the benefit of the company.
- Process approach where an organisation manages its business processes, not people or products.
- Organisational context requires the company to consider both the internal and external issues that can impact on its objectives and the quality management system.
- Continual improvement drives the company to continually adopt ways to reduce costs, improve performance and customer satisfaction.
- Fact-based decision-making ensures that good management practices are used to allow for objective decision making that will lead to positive actions.
- Risk-based thinking as an efficient process to risk that is incorporated into the Quality Management System, rather than treating risk as a single component. This ensures that you are proactive rather than reactive and therefore promotes continual improvement.
Establishing a Quality Management System
We decided to produce a Quality Management System (QMS), that reflects the way we work and is compliant with the requirements of ISO9001 certification. FTS did not have any documented systems in place that highlighted the formal working practices and procedures, so making the transition to a formal ISO9001 system was going to be a challenge. The process of obtaining the certification took about 18 months however using an external company, we were assured the whole process could have been achieved in less than 8 weeks.
Why is the Certification important when you provide a service!
As a company who do not manufacture products, our products are the reports and certificates that we send to clients on completion of a project i.e. Portable Appliance Testing, Fixed Wire Testing and Fire Extinguisher servicing. Some people might not think that the ISO9001 certification is as critical to us as it is to a company making physical products. However, it is just as important.
What are the benefits of the ISO 9001 Certification?
The ISO 9001 certification helps companies develop and improve performance, as well as demonstrate high levels of service quality when bidding for contracts. Certification follows the successful completion of an audit against the ISO 9001 standard and enables companies to:
- Operate more efficiently
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Extend into new market areas
- Identify and address risks
How we use the ISO9001 Certification
We use the certification to control the processes we use to produce our products which in our case is our reports. The biggest misconception about Quality Management Systems is not specifically about putting a “badge” on a product, this is not allowed, it is about the system that produces the product, how is it managed, controlled, reviewed and improved. The current standard ISO9001:2015 now incorporates an element of risk assessment to drive the continual improvement of the system. Therefore, as a company, we must be able to identify risks to the business and put control measures in place.
Is ISO 9001 certification worth the effort?
Yes – without a doubt, especially as our clients recognise that every “product”, our reports and certificates, are of a high standard. They have the sound knowledge that we maintain the levels of performance which we continually look to identify and implement possible improvements. Companies must be regularly audited by an independent certifying company to maintain ISO certification. These external audits ensure that we improve and causes us to keep our systems up-to-date and that might otherwise gradually become a little stale. The challenge is to be able to demonstrate that this works for us.