Statistics gathered on behalf of the Government, show that electricity causes more than 20,000 fires a year – almost half of all accidental UK house fires.
Additionally, every year 70 people are killed and 350,000 people are seriously injured due to an electrical accident in the home. We now have more and more electrical appliances at home so the risk of electrical accidents is much higher than before.
Did you know?
- You can often tell if an appliance or a socket is safe to use just by casting your eyes over the appliance and looking for frayed wires or scorch/burn marks on the socket or wire.
- Electrical sockets have been designed and manufactured to a British Standard which makes it impossible for a child to stick their fingers or even a knitting needle in the holes, but you never know a child may plug in an Iron or Hair straighteners and turn them on, creating a fire or burn hazard.
- Electric fires and kettles always use more power than televisions or lights check these appliances more often.
- Too many appliances plugged into one socket can cause a fire.
General Electrical Safety Tips
Here are some safety tips that apply to all electrical appliances:
- When not in use, unplug any electrical devices that get hot: hair straighteners, an iron and even your laptop or mobile phone charger. That way there’s no risk of fire.
- Carry out a visual check of your appliances. If there are any problems, you’ll probably see frayed wires or scorched sockets and if there are any signs of damage do not use it.
- Remember one plug per socket, Extensions leads can help you to run more appliances at once, but they can be dangerous. So try not to overload electrical sockets, especially with more power-hungry appliances like kettles and irons.
- If you’re using an extension lead, some are better than others. The ‘bar’ type, where plugs sit in a line, puts less strain on the socket than a ‘block’ type. A ‘block’ type, where plugs are all attached in a cluster, are more likely to strain the socket and cause a fire.
- Finally turn appliances off before you go to bed. Did you know that mobile phone chargers, if left plugged in, can overheat and cause a fire? Earlier this year it was reported that a phone charger caught fire while a student slept, it was being charged whilst under his pillow. Unless it’s designed to stay on overnight (like a freezer) turn it off and unplug it at the mains.
Other Safety Tips:
Remember these are just simple things to help you avoid becoming one of the statistics:
- Don’t run extension leads under carpets as they can overheat and you cannot see if the lead has become damaged leading to an electrical shock or fire.
- Don’t unplug appliances by pulling on the cord. Grip from the plug and pull. This will prevent the exposure of live wires.
- Water and electricity are a deadly combination. Keep electrical wires and appliances away from water. Never attempt to put out an electrical fire with water.
If you have any questions, then please get in touch on 0330 660 0264, until next time …