Just a few days ago, I had my first business meeting since my surgery. While we were talking through the different plans for marketing and social media, my supplier and I spoke about something that could cause a fire hazard that nobody would really think about …
Activities That Make Teenagers Fire Starters
It was all about the fire hazards that are in children’s bedrooms, from the very young to the troublesome teenagers. In this day and age of technology most children have a number of electrical appliances in their rooms.
Now I know that Portable Appliance Testing has not yet reached a requirement for households – other than rented properties – but I keep dreaming and listening to the cash register ringing! It wouldn’t hurt to educate some of them of the hazards.
One of the appliances that always causes me concern are games consoles like the Xbox or Playstation, the vast majority of which are left on 24 hours a day, even when in standby mode. The main concern for me is the heat that is generated from the unit and power supply. Now I know that teenagers always keep their rooms nice and tidy, don’t they? Maybe not! They have a habit of just leaving clothes scattered around all over the place.
“Discarded pieces of clothing may well end up being left covering the console, which may well overheat and cause a fire!”
So if you have games consoles, coupled with an untidy child’s bedroom, it is never too late to repeatedly educate them that “Fire Kills!” and do make sure you have an escape plan in the event of a fire that the whole family is aware of.
Until next time …